FurEver Animal Rescue
Don't Shop ..... Adopt!
501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization
Preparing For Your New Pet's Homecoming!
- Metal water and food bowls
- Dog bed
- Dog toys
- Crate (if you intend to crate train) - we recommend it for puppy training
- Puppy pads (if training a new puppy)
- Training treats
- Chew bones, rawhide and regular treats
- Plastic bags to pick up the poop when you walk your dog
- Quality dog food (wet and dry)
Suggested brands: Wellness, Innova, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, California Natural, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Diamond Natural (try to avoid the less expensive brands that use a lot of grains and meat by-products - read
the ingredients list to ensure meat is the first ingredient)
- You may want to consider taking your puppy or dog to obedience class - especially if it's a puppy. Even having them learn the basic commands will both make your life easier as well as keep them safer
- Ceramic water and food bowls
- Litter box
- Cat litter (may prefer unscented type)
- Litter scoop
- Cat bed(s)
- Cat treats
- Variety of cat toys
- Carrying kennel
- Scratching post and/or cat scratchers
- Quality cat food (wet and dry)
Suggested brands: Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, California Natural, Halo, Lotus, Blue Buffalo, Innova, Wellness, Evo, Before Grain, Taste of the Wild (try to avoid the less expensive brands that use a lot of grains and meat by-products - read the ingredients list to ensure meat is the first ingredient)
Flea prevention for your cat or dogMonthly flea medication is a must to help your pet stay parasite free but must be dosed properly to avoid serious illness or even death to your pet. We always recomend that you speak with your veterinarian for his/her recommendation but there are many reliable products that can be purchased from local pet stores that are safe when used appropriately.For cats - Advantage and Frontline are available without a prescription. Advantage is available in two sizes: small cats 9 pounds and under and large cats 9 pounds and over. If your cat is indoor and outdoor, Frontline treats fleas, ticks and chewing lice and come in one size for all. Kittens under 8 weeks old should NOT be treated with these products.For dogs - there are three main products available - Advantage, Frontline and a product called K-9 Advantix. We do not recommend K-9 Advantix for several reasons. First, it is toxic to cats and can be picked up by your cat if he/she rubs against the dog or it's bedding. Also there have been many reported cases of seizures following the application of this medication. Second, it is important to give the appropriate dose based on your dog's weight. Advantage and Frontline both are dosed out by weight. It is very important that you know your dog's weight and buy the appropriate size. You wouldn't want your 10 pound poodle to be dosed with medication intended for an 85 pound German Shepard or visa versa. If your dog spends a lot of time outside, goes to the dog park or hiking with you, we suggest using Frontline since ticks have been such a problem the last few years. There are other flea products that also have heart worm prevention but they are only available through your veterinarian.We urge you to avoid products such as Zodiac, Solid Gold, Sargent's and Hartz. All flea products are absorbed through the skin and there is no antidote to reverse toxic side effects. These products have been known to cause serious, permanent neurological damage and even death to pets. We want your pets to live a long happy and healthy life.
- Be sure to have a sunny place or two for your cat to look out the window. Cats also enjoy a high perch.
- Lining a paper box lid with a towel works well for a cat bed.
- Keep old plastic bags for cleaning out the litter box (should be cleaned once a day) - there is a bacteria that may be in the cat's waste that harms sea otters when flushed down the toilet - best to throw away in the garbage.
Visit us on Facebook!